We left Hoffman Marina about 8:00 this morning with warm sunny sky’s and a slight south wind. The Atlantic Ocean had only one ft. waves when we started out and we have about 35 miles to navigate today. We will be docking at Great Kills Marina Staten Island, New York. You have to be a looper to stay at this marina and John Calascibetta is the Harbor Host and a former looper.
This is the view as we got closer to New York it’s not very clear but the best I could get. This is so exciting to be docking in the New York area and doing some sightseeing. Liz from Anchor Down took this picture of our boat heading towards New York.
Sandy hook lighthouse located about 1 1/2 miles inland from the tip of Sandy Hook, New Jersey is the oldest working lighthouse in the U.S. It was designed and built on June 1, 1764 and stands 500 ft. tall. The light was built to aid mariners entering the southern end of New York harbor and was originally called New York Lighthouse. The lighthouse was automated in 1965 with a 19 nautical mile range.
This is Sandy Hook a barrier spit six miles long about one mile wide and located at the north end of the Jersey Shore. It encloses the southern entrance of Lower New York Bay protecting it from the open waters of the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
We are staying at Great Kills Yacht club on Staten Island, New York. We were greeted by John Calascibetta the harbor host and former looper. The wind had picked up as we were trying to dock and had to go stern in (back in) with the help of several guys catching my lines and Kent doing a great job backing in, we were docked and tied up in no time. The hospitality we received from John, and other boaters was great. We met John & April who did the loop in 2014 with three children Allie 12, Katie 10, and John Jr. 21/2. John lets loopers use his truck and will help you out in any way they can. We had a nice time visiting with them on SeaQuest (Bruce & Bev’s) boat and learning about their experience on the loop with children.
Friday night we had docktails at the Yacht Club with Miss Baily, Anchor Down, Bajan Speed, Satori, Gypsies Place, and Tranquility III. They had pictures on the wall of the damage done to the marina when hurricane Sandy hit. The docks and boats were all pushed up on shore.
Some of us walked to Coles Dock Side for Dinner. It was nice to see and visit with other loopers. I just had to take a picture of these beautiful roses they were all along Coles Dock Side walk way.
John C was so nice to take us to the train station so we could take the train to St. George where we could take the Staten Island Ferry across to Manhattan. The trip takes about 25 minutes each way and you get a good view of Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. During our first day we traveled by train, ferry, subway, and bus the only thing left was a cab. Most of the people who live in New York commute, as owning a car is very expensive and parking is limited.
This is the great view we had from the Staten Ferry leaving Lower Manhattan. The city has become New York’s hottest location to live, work, stay, and play.
On Saturday Liz met her cousin Fazel Deen who she has not seen since she was eight. It was such a nice reunion for them. Fazel lives in New York and offered to join us for the day. We had a great time with Fazel, he took us through Battery Park, on the subway, and gave us some valuable information on what to see.
Fazel took us on the High Line, a 1.45 mile long linear park created on an elevated section of a disused New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line in New York City. The High Line Park is built on the disused southern portion of the West Side Line running to the Lower West Side of Manhattan. Repurposing of the railway into an urban park began in 2006 and opened in 2009. It was a nice place to walk and see how they have redesigned and planted as an aerial greenway and rails-to-trails park. The High Line passes under Chelsea Market a food hall, people selling their art work and we even saw a man playing the cello.
We had a great view of the Empire State Building in the distance. The Empire State Building is 102 story skyscraper located on Fifth Avenue in Midtown Manhattan. It stood as the world’s tallest building for nearly 40 years from 1931 until the original Trade Centers North building in 1970. The Empire State Building is an American Cultural icon. The building opening coincided with the Great Depression in the United States and as a result much of its office space was initially not rented. The Empire State Building was the first to have more than 100 floors, it has 6,500 windows, and 73 elevators. There are 1,860 steps from the street level to the 102nd floor. The building houses 1,000 businesses and has its own Zip Code 10118. On the 102nd floor of the building there is a door with stairs ascending to the 103rd floor. This was built as a disembarkation floor for airships tethered to the buildings spire and has circular balcony outside. It is now a hot spot for celebrities and an access point to reach the spire for maintenance. The Empire State building has one of the most popular outdoor observatories in the world. In 1945 a plane crashed into the north side of the building between the 79th and 80th floor. Fourteen people were killed in the incident and despite the damage and loss of life the building was open for business on many floors two days later. More than 30 people have attempted suicide over the years by jumping from the upper parts of the building most have succeeded.
Liz wanted New York Pizza so we found Rocky’s Pizza were we had lunch. We didn’t know if this is traditional New York pizza but the pizza was very tasty. Liz and Fazel have a lot of yrs. to catch up on.
Originally much of the west shore of Upper New York Bay consisted of large tidal flats which hosted vast outer banks. There were several islands which were not completely submerged at high tide. Three of them (later to be known as Liberty Island, Black Tom Island, and Ellis Island) were given the name Oyster Island by the settlers of New Netherland, the first European colony in the regions. Land fill to build the rail yards of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and the Central Railroad of New Jersey would eventually engulf one island and bring the shoreline much closer to the other. During the colonial period Little Oyster Island was known as Dyre’s, then Bucking Island. In 1760 after some pirates were hung from one of the islands trees it was known as Gibbet Island. Samuel Ellis acquired the Island around the time of the American Revolution and in 1785 attempted to sell the island. The state of New York leased the island in 1794 and ownership was in question. Then acquisition by condemnation was passed in 1807 and ceded to the United States in 1808. In the 35 years before Ellis island opened more than eight million immigrants arriving in New York City had been processed at Castle Garden in Lower Manhattan just across the bay. The Federal government assumed control of immigration on April 18, 1890 and approved construction of Americas first immigration station on Ellis island. The island was really expended with land reclamation between 1892-1934. Artesian wells were dug, land fill was hauled, which doubled the size of Ellis Island to over six acres. The first station was built of Georgia Pine it opened in January 1,1892 and was destroyed by fire in 1897. Almost 450,000 immigrants were processed during its first year.
The second structure built of red brick and limestone trim opened on December 17, 1900 and closed on November 12, 1954. Ellis Island in Upper New York Bay was the gateway for over 12 million immigrants to the U.S. and the nation’s busiest immigration inspection station for over sixty years, from 1892-1954. The immigrants who were approved meaning papers were in order, and in reasonably good health spent from two to five hours on Ellis Island. When the Immigrant Quota Act of 1921 was passed the number of immigrants allowed declined greatly and in 1924 Ellis island became primarily a detention and deportation processing station.
After many days or weeks at sea tossed by rough waters, stepping onto solid land was a welcome relief for most passengers. Nearly every day for over two decades the Registry room was filled with new arrivals waiting to be inspected and registered by Immigration Service officers. After the Immigrants disembarked from the ferries and carried their own bags they were crowded into the baggage room on the first floor where their bags were checked. The Registry room (called the great hall where immigrants were processed) is on the second floor and medical inspectors would watch them walk the steps carrying their bags, those that stopped in the middle of the path for any reason were pulled aside to be inspected. But the last examination and most feared was their eyelids for trachoma which could lead to blindness.
These pictures are of immigrant being sworn in as citizens, English class, Francis E Clark Settlement, Chicago in 1905. Settlement houses a presence in immigrant neighborhoods since the 1880 eased the adjustment to American life. German musicians practicing at a picnic in Madison, Wisconsin 1897. Family making garters in 1910, a rear tenement bedroom N.Y East side 1910. Combined bath and laundry in a tenement sink New York City.
Top picture is street Arabs in sleeping quarters in New York City 1889. The statue is of Anne Moore first immigrant processed at Ellis Island January 1, 1892. The great war where immigrants were called upon to declare their loyalty to America, help the war efforts buy a bond, and join the army.
There were so many pictures, information, movies, and so much more that you could spend two days if you read everything. There is the hospital, dormitory room for detained immigrants, courtroom, and a new ferry building built-in 1936. How scared these people must have been in a strange country, with only a few possessions, probable most of them didn’t speak English and praying they would not be sent back. We had lunch in the same dinning room that the Immigrants ate in.
After the immigration station closed in 1954 the building fell into disrepair and were abandoned. On October 15,1965 Ellis island was proclaimed a part of the Statue of Liberty Nation monument. Then in 1990 after many years of restoration, and a large budget Ellis Island was reopened, restoring a Landmark and open to the public. Ellis Island long considered part of New York State, a 1998 United States Supreme Court decision found that most of the island is in New Jersey.
The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor, New York. The copper statute a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States in 1886 was designed by french sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi and built by Gustave Eiffel. The Statue of Liberty is a robed female figure representing the Libertas, the Roman goddess. She holds a torch above her head and in her left arm carries a tabula ansata inscribed in Roman numerals with “JULY IV MDCCLXXVI ( July 4, 1776), the date of the U.S. Declaration Independence. A broken chain lies at her feet. The crown has 25 windows and seven spikes. The statue became an icon of freedom and of the United States. It was a welcoming sight to immigrants arriving from abroad.
In 1875 Edouard Laboulaye (French law professor and politician) proposed that the french finance that statue and the U.S. would provide the site and build the pedestal. Bartholdi arriving at New York harbor focused on Bedloe’s island (now named Liberty Island) as a site for the statue, struck by the fact that vessels arriving in New York had to sail past it. Bartholdi visited President Ulysses S. Grant who assured him that would not be difficult to obtain the site for the statue and the island was owned by the U.S. government in 1800 for harbor defense. Bartholdi had made a first model of his concept in 1870 and continued to develop the concept following his return to France. Bartholdi completed the head and the torch bearing arm before the statue was fully designed and these pieces were exhibited for publicity at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876. On March 3, 1877 on his final full day in office, President Grant signed a joint resolution that authorized the President to accept the statue when it was presented by France and to select a site for it. President Rutherford B. Hayes who took office the following day selected the Bedloe’s island site that Bartholdi had proposed.
The head and arm had been built with assistance from Viollet-le-Duc who fell ill and died in 1879. Bartholdi had to figure out how he intended to transition from the copper skin to his proposed masonry pier. He obtained the service of Gustave Eiffel who abandon the pier and instead built and iron truss tower. A secondary skeleton was attached to the center pylon then to enable the statue to move slightly in the winds of New York he loosely connected the support structure to the skin using flat-iron bars which culminated in mesh of metal straps , know as “saddles” that were riveted to the skin, providing firm support. To prevent galvanic corrosion between the copper skin and the iron support structure, Eiffel insulated the skin with asbestos impregnated with shellac. Eiffel’s design made the statue one of the earliest examples of curtain wall construction in which the exterior of the structure is not load bearing but is instead a supported by an interior framework. He included two interior spiral staircases to make it easier for visitors to reach the observation point in the crown. In a symbolic act the first rivet place into the skin, fixing a copper plate onto the statue’s big toe was driven by U.S. Ambassador to France Levi P. Morton. By 1882 the statue was complete up to the waist and Bartholdi celebrated by inviting reporters to lunch on a platform built within the statue. The statue was completed by July 4, 1884 and the French Government had agreed to pay for its transport to New York. On July 17, 1885 the French steamer Isere, laden with the Statue of Liberty reached the New York port safely. New Yorker’s displayed their new-found enthusiasm for the statue, as the French vessel arrived with the crates holding the disassembled statue aboard.
The construction of the pedestal faced great difficulties, they had the panic of 1873 that led to economic depression. Fundraising for the statue begun in 1882 and proved to be difficult until Joseph Pulitzer publisher of the New York World announced a drive to raise $100,000 (equivalent of $2.3 million today). The drive captured the imagination of New Yorker’s. Even with the success of the fund drive the pedestal was not completed until April 1886. The base was designed by Morris Hunt from the East Coast of the United States. Once cast the pedestal was covered with granite stones from Connecticut, to ensure his longevity. All four sides of the pedestal are the same. The statue is located in the center of the Fort Bedloe built-in the nineteenth century to protect the harbor of New York. The base of the Statue of Liberty was made of concrete, a technique especially daring for its time it was recent. Immediately after the base was completed reassembling of the statue began. On October 28,1886 a ceremony of dedication was held with President Grover Cleveland , the former New York governor presided over the event. When the torch was illuminated it produced only a faint gleam, barely visible from Manhattan.
We saw the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Ferry, Statue Cruises, our boat Follow that Dream, at night, and we walked around her on Liberty Island. She looks amazing no matter how we saw her I can see why the immigrants that passed by her on their way to Ellis Island were in awe. The statue is copper once as shiny as a penny now has taken on a green color. She is 151 ft. 1in. tall, from ground to torch she towers 305.1 ft. and total weight is 450,000 tons. The height of the pedestal is 89 ft. and covered with granite.
The Memorial’s twin reflecting pools are each nearly an acre in size and feature the largest manmade waterfalls in North America. The pools sit within the foot prints where the twin towers once stood. This commemorate the September 11, 2001 attacks, which killed 2,977 victims, and the World Trade Center bombing of 1993 which killed six. The names of 2983 victims are inscribed on 76 bronze plates attached to the parapets of the walls on the memorial pools including the six killed in 1993. The whole area around the pool is so beautiful such a memorial to all the people who lost their lives. It was so nice to see something so beautiful come out of something so devastating.
The national September 11 Memorial Museum at the World Trade Center bears solemn witness to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 and February 26 1993. The museum honors the nearly 3,000 victims of these attacks and all those who risked their lives to save others. It further recognizes the thousands who survived and those who acted with extraordinary compassion in the aftermath. Demonstrating the consequences of terrorism on individual lives and its impact on communities at the local, national, and international levels, the museum attests to the triumph of human dignity over human depravity and affirms an unwavering commitment to the fundamental value of human life. About 70 feet below ground with a deconstructiviste design resembling a partially collapsed building (mirroring the attacks), and houses two tridents from the twin towers. The main hall shows the last column standing which was the last piece of steel to leave Ground Zero. The museum has the Jersey Street stairs located on the northern most edge of the world trade center plaza and is called the Survivors Stairs. Most of damage now visible was inflicted during the cleanup operation. One of the museums wall is an exposed side of the slurry wall retaining the Hudson River which remained intact during and after September 11. Other Ground Zero artifacts include wrecked emergency vehicles, pieces of metal from all seven World Trade Center buildings, recordings of survivors and first responders, pictures of all victims, photographs from the wreckage and other media detailing the destruction( including the crashes, collapse, fires, those who jumped and the cleanup). They have a room that gives you information on who the terrorist were that flew the planes. You were not allowed to take photos in the Memorial Museum. This was something to see and hear all the recordings. The museum is like a maze it just keeps going and so do you taking it all. They did a wonderful job reliving that day and honoring all the people who lost their lives due to a terrorist attack.
FDNY Ladder Company 3 is a fire company in New York and received some of the heaviest casualties of any fire company in the FDNY losing most of its men in the September 11 attacks. The company reported to the north tower of the World Trade center where Captain Patrick”Paddy” Brown and his men were last known to be on the 40th floor of the tower. The company arrived at the WTC running heavy meaning that they carried more men than would actually be on a shift, as the attacks came during a shift change and both shifts remained on duty. Along with so many other rescue workers the men of Ladder 3 participated in perhaps one of the most successful rescue efforts in U.S. history. These brave men at their own peril managed to safely evacuated over 25,000 people from the World Trade Center on that most tragic day. Patrick’s remains were recovered from the rubble of the North Tower on December 14th 2001.
St. Paul’s Chapel or “The Little chapel That Stood”, is an Episcopal chapel in Lower Manhattan, New York. It was built-in the Georgian Classic Revival Style. The building is constructed of native Manhattan mica schist with brownstone quoins at the corners. Woodwork, carvings, and door hinges are all handmade. When we looked up we saw fourteen original cut glass chandeliers hanging in the nave (main church) and galleries. These date from 1802 and were originally made to hold candles. They were removed in 1857 when they lit with gas and returned and refitted for electricity in 1925. The magnificent work of art that appears in the center of the windows is the “Glory” altarpiece.
St. Paul’s Chapel first opened in 1766 and was considered a chapel-of-ease for those who didn’t want to walk a few blocks south along unpaved street to Trinity. St. Paul’s is the only surviving pre Revolutionary church in Manhattan. A decade later the Great Fire of 1776 destroyed the first Trinity Church but St. Paul’s survived thanks to a bucket brigade dousing the building with water. George Washington made St. Paul’s his church and on April 30, 1789 after Washington took the oath to become the first President he made his way from Federal Hall on Wall Street to St Paul’s chapel where he attended services. In 1989 President George H.B Bush attended a celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the American Presidency. After September 11, 2001 St. Paul’s became the site of an extraordinary round the clock relief ministry. Though the World Trade Center collapsed just across the street there was no damage to the church not even a window was broke. The exterior of St. Paul’s and its churchyard were covered in debris. The church earned the name nickname “The Little Chapel that Stood.” From September 11 2001 to May 2002 St. Paul’s chapel opened its doors to recovery workers at Ground Zero serving meals, offering beds, counseling and praying with firefighters, construction workers, police officers, and others. In the first three months after the attack more than 3,000 workers passed through the chapel’s gates.
Displays throughout the chapel is the exhibit Unwavering Spirit hope and healing at Ground Zero.
The World Trade Center was a large complex of seven buildings in Lower Manhattan, New York City. It featured landmark twin towers which opened on April 4, 1973 and were destroyed on September 11, 2001. At the time of their completion the Twin Towers were #1 at 1,368 feet tall and #2 at 1,362 they were the tallest buildings in the world. The complex was located in New York City’s Financial District and contained 13,4000,000 square feet of office space. The World Trade Center was rebuilt over a span of more than a decade. The site is being rebuilt with six new skyscrapers. One World Trade Center which opened in November 2014 the tallest building in the united states is the lead building for the new complex with 102 stories. Kent and I went inside the new World Trade Center and rode the Skypod one of five dedicated elevators ascending to the 102nd floor in under 60 seconds. I thought I was on a ride at an amusement park it went up so fast. As your going up in the Sky Pod you see nearly 2,000 historical images, consisting of historical maps, paintings, and photographs. The height of One World Trade Center with the spire is 1,776 feet representing the year that the Declaration of Independence was signed (July 4,1776). Kent and I went up to the Main Observatory where we experienced a 360 degree view in all directions, taking in the iconic sites, surrounding water and panoramic views of the city beyond.
This was amazing to see all the different architecture designed buildings that went forever. The Hudson river that we will be navigating on, New York Bay, and if we went to our right is the East River. It’s to bad the day was cloudy but at least it wasn’t raining yet.
New York’s earliest skyscrapers were erected in the mid 1870 when the first office building of ten stores piled masonry more than 200 feet high and lifted spires to 260 feet. Office buildings concentrated in Lower Manhattan and their density increased dramatically after 1893 as did the number taller than 200 feet. By 1900 the city boasted 250 structures of ten or more floors, including the worlds tallest office building, the thirty story 15 Park Row, whose steel skeleton carried it to 391 feet. By the turn of the 20th century, New York commercial architecture was defining the city’s quintessential identity as the “Capital of Capitalism and as a city of towers.
Rockefeller Center is a large complex consisting of 19 high-rise commercial building covering 22 acres between 48th and 51st Street in New York City. Commissioned by the Rockefeller family it is located in the center of Midtown Manhattan. The centerpiece of Rockefeller Center is the 70-floor 87 ft. tall building centered behind the sunken plaza. 50 Rockefeller Plaza Formerly the Associated Press Building and home to many news agencies.
Rockefeller Center represents a turning point in the history of architectural sculpture. The Lower Plaza of Rockefeller Center in the winter is the ice skating rink and the Gold statue of Prometheus. They were setting up for a very elaborate wedding so we couldn’t go inside or get great pictures. Some 200 flagpoles line the plaza displaying flags of the United Nation s member countries, the U.S. states and territories, or decorative and seasonal motifs. This is a picture of the Statue of Atlas on Fifth Avenue. Rockefeller center is also where they place the large Christmas Tree and lit in a public ceremony in late November.
Radio City Music Hall was completed in December 1932 it was promoted as the largest and most opulent theater in the work. Its original intended name was the “International Music Hall” but this was hanged to reflect the name of its neighbor “Radio City”, as the new NBC Studios in the RCA Building were known.
St. Patrick’s Cathedral is a decorated Neo-Gothic style Roman Catholic cathedral and a prominent landmark on New York. The cornerstone for St. Patrick’s was laid in 1858 in an area that was primarily farmland. Built to accommodate the city’s growing community of Catholic immigrants. Despite delays caused by the Civil War, the Gothic revival structure was consecrated in 1879. A newspaper hailed it as “the noblest temple ever raised in any land to the memory of Saint Patrick, and as the glory of Catholic America. The cathedral which can accommodate 3,000 people is built of brick clad in marble, quarried in Massachusetts and New York.
The 70 stained glass windows were made by artists in Boston, Massachusetts and European artist from Charter, France and Birmingham, England. Charles Connick created the rose window above the organ. Slender marble pillars support the cross ribbed vaults that rise 110 ft. above the nave.
In the center is the cathedral sanctuary holding the main altar covered by a 57-foot bronze copy called a Baldacchino.
Near the steps to the sanctuary is the a statue of Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland to whom the cathedral is dedicated. He is carrying a book of gospels and a shamrock in his left hand. Patrick used the three leaves of the shamrock to illustrate the concept of the Holy Trinity, and it became his symbol. In the south transept is the Altar of Our Lady of Guadalupe. On December 12th the Lady ‘s feast day the chapel is filled with flowers in her honor. All around the outside of the cathedral are stations of saints where you can light a candle a pray to them. The spires were added in 1888, and at 330 feet were the tallest structures in New York City and the second highest in the United States. In 1927 the cathedral was renovated which included enlarging the sanctuary and installing the great organ. It is the seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York located on the east side of Fifth Avenue. Every year over five and a half million people are drawn to St. Patrick’s for worship, spiritual consolation, or to simply marvel at its remarkable beauty. I was so moved by the beautiful cathedral. The pictures I took will not show you how elegant it is. You just want to stay and take it all in. I light a candle and said a prayer for my mother and all the mothers I know.
Times Square formed known as Longacre Square, was remained in 1904 after the new York times moved its headquarters to the newly erected times building now one Time Square the sight of the annual New Years eve ball drop which began on december 31, 1907 and continues today attracting over a million visitors to Times Square every year. Times Square is a major commercial intersection, tourist destination, entertainment center and neighborhood in the Midtown of Manhattan. Brightly adorned with bill cards and advertisements, Times Square is sometimes referred to as the crossroads of the world. The Center of the Universe, the heart of the great white way and the heart of the world. One of the worlds busiest pedestrian areas, it is also the hub of the Broadway theater district and a major center of the worlds entertainment industry. Approximately 330,000 people pass through times square daily many of them tourists while over 460,000 pedestrians walk through times square on its busiest day.
I have watched the ball drop in time square but to actually walk the streets is unbelievable.
Charging bull which is sometimes referred to as the Wall Street Bull or the Bowling green bull is a bronze sculpture that stands in the financial District in Manhattan, New York City. Originally guerrilla are installed unofficially by Arturo Di Monica its popularity let to it being a permanent feature. The 7,100 pound sculpture stands 11 ft. tall and measures 16 feet long. The oversize sculpture depicts a bull the symbol of aggressive financial optimism and prosperity, leaning back on its haunches and with its head lowered as if ready to charge.
We all got on a Gray tour bus hop on hop off which took us all through New York it was the best way to see as much as possible. This is what we saw China Town, Little Italy, Green village, Soho, Nolita,and Koreatown.
We took the Gray line night bus that took us across the Manhattan bridge to Brooklyn NY. Which is Manhattan’s neighbor but a notable borough on its own right if it were its own city it would be the third most populous one in the country Brooklyn is the most populous borough of New York City it borders the borough of Queens at the southwestern end of Long Island. In 1883 the Brooklyn bridge was completed transportation to Manhattan was no longer by water only and the city of Brooklyn ties to the City of New York were strengthened. Brooklyn was an independent incorporate city until January 1,1898 when it consolidated with New York City.
These are more pictures of Brooklyn. The weather was not cooperating with us as you can see we are wearing rain gear. Being on top of the bus gives you a great view as you tour New York. Once it rain so hard we had to ride inside until it stopped.
Battery Park is a 25 acre public park named for the artillery batteries that were positioned there in the city’s early years to protect the settlement behind them. The southern shoreline of Manhattan island had long been known as “The Battery since the 17th century when the area was part of the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam. At the time an artillery battery there served to protect the seaward approaches to the town. Castle Clinton originally called the West Battery was built as a Defensive fort just prior to the war of 1812-1822. Then it was a Cultural Emporium 1824-1854, Immigration Center 1855-1890 until Ellis Island opened. It was an aquarium 1896-1941 and is now a National Monument. It became property of the city after the war and was renamed Castle Clinton.
This statue is The Immigrants by Luis Sanguino. The Sphere conceived by artist Fritz Koening as a symbol of world peace and stood in the plaza of the World Trade center for three decades. It was damaged during the tragic events of September 11, 2001 but endures as an icon of hope and the indestructible spirit of this country.
The American Merchant Mariners Memorial sculpture located in the Hudson River west of the park is sited on a stone breakwater. The bronze sculpture depicts four merchant seamen with their sinking vessel after it had been attacked by a U-boat during World War II. One of the seamen is in the water and is covered by the sea with each high tide.
The SeaGlass Carousel is a fish themed carousel in Battery Park built-in 2015. The carousel features seating on identifiable species such as Siamese fighting fish.
We walked along Battery Park on our way to the 9/11 memorial. We saw people jogging, siting on benches, and came across a group of people painting. The park is beautiful and well maintained.
There is so much to see in New York and not enough time to see it all. We got a sample of how wonderful the City is and how they all came to together after the 9/11 attack and rebuilt their City.